Farmers Market Hash with Market Fresh Eggs
Chef Todd Koebke
This is one of my favorite ways to shop at the farmers market. Gather beautiful seasonal ingredients as you take in all the sights and smells of the morning. Use your favorite cast-iron skillet and bring all these amazingly fresh ingredients together simply with care to let each ingredient shine. Top with a farm fresh egg and start your day right.
Yield: 4 servings
8 oz. Bacon or Sausage, diced
1 ea Sweet onion, diced
1 ea Red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 ea Poblano pepper, seeded and diced
1 Pint Morel mushroom or any mushroom available, cleaned and sliced
2 pound fingerling potato, quartered and sliced
1 cup Kale, roughly chopped
¼ cup water
4 oz. butter, cubed
¼ cup chopped herbs, rosemary or Italian parsley are preferred
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
4 ea Farm fresh eggs
- Heat cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add diced bacon or sausage and cook until fat is rendered out.
- Add onions and sauté until slightly caramelized.
- Add potato, peppers and cook until slightly caramelized and the potatoes have softened.
- When potatoes are almost done, about 10 minutes, add kale and ¼ cup water. The water will help steam the kale and will also help the potatoes finish.
- Add the mushrooms, butter and sauté briefly.
- Add the herbs and season with salt, pepper and fresh herbs. Taste to make sure the flavors are developed and re-season if necessary.
- Plate finished hash, top with an over easy farmer egg and enjoy.