It’s that time of year again, when the market season starts to pick up. This Sunday, May 1 and next Wednesday, May 4 we welcome King and Shemanski vendors and shoppers back for the season.
Our 2016 market season is an exciting one. Not only are we celebrating our 25th season, but we are also publishing a cookbook, on sale May 24. We will also continue to offer market programs and activities for shoppers, like our Kids Cook in the Market program (registration now open), Chef in the Market (kicks off June 4). For a full list of activities by day, be sure to visit our Events Calendar. You’ll even have the option to export them to your calendar and of course, you can always follow us on Facebook for up-to-date reminders.
This Saturday, April 30 at PSU please join us and the City of Portland for their annual Arbor Day Celebration. There will be opportunities for visitors to add their tree stories to our story tree, arts and crafts for the kids and adults, information about trees and tree care, tree seedling giveaways, historical and heritage tree tours led by a local historian, music, storytelling and much more!
- Snap peas are making their appearance at PSU. Pick some up from DeNoble Farms, Gathering Together Farm and others as their season kicks into high gear!
- Persephone Farm will have garlic, greens and herbs on their last week at PSU until June.
- If you’re a fan of peonies, they’re back! Janna’s Flowers will be at PSU for the first time this season.
- Strawberries are becoming more plentiful. Stephens Farm will be back at PSU for the first time this season with them!
- Enlighten Your Palate is back at PSU for the first time this season with their delicious paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free baked goods that include cookies, cakes, candies, desserts, muffins and mini loaves.
- Handcrafted pastries from Mio’s Delectables will be available again at PSU this week.
- Temptress Truffles will have the season’s first ramps at PSU this week. Not familiar with them? They are a cross between leeks and scallions and have a very short season so quantities are limited!
- Vegetable, herb and fruit tree starts are still available at PSU from Sun Gold Farm, Spring Hill Organic Farm, Blue Heron Herbary and Kaleng’s Produce.
- Fresh, wild caught salmon is back this week at PSU from Simon Sampson.
- Zucchni has made its appearance at market at PSU. Find it at Denobles Farm this week and many more vendors in the weeks to come!
- Try Pine State Biscuit’s weekly market veggie hash at PSU featuring DeNobles Farm and then stop by their booth for ingredients to make your own!
- Kichana, one of our new hot food vendors at King, will be serving up Peruvian cuisine, including traditional ceviche made from Pacific NW produce and seafood.
- Urban farm Red Truck Homestead will be at King this week with greens, heirloom veggies and a wide variety of culinary herbs.