By Deborah Pleva
To celebrate its 20th anniversary, Portland Farmers Market is throwing the community a big birthday party today at its Saturday market at Portland State University. Everyone is invited to join the Market’s staff, board members and founders to celebrate this special occasion with birthday treats by local chefs, a dunk tank, live music, birthday hat making for kids, and other festive events.
Also joining in the celebration will be Congressman Earl Blumenhauer, Mayor Sam Adams and Commissioner Nick Fish, who will each speak during the public ceremony at 11 AM. Mayor Adams will also read a City Proclamation announcing June as Farmers’ Market Month in Portland.
- Lighted birthday cake and with crowd singing ‘Happy Birthday’ to Portland Farmers Market
- Shoppers waving sparklers
- Founding farmers/vendors wearing 20th anniversary aprons
- Shoppers signing a memory book with a note or memory about the market.
- Farmers, vendors and Portland Farmers Market staff and volunteers getting dunked in the dunk tank by marketgoers
- Kids making and wearing festive birthday hats
- The Lego Kid, aka Warren Seely, son of PFM vendors Mike and Candy Seely of Seely Family Farm, and his amazing Lego recreations of farm equipment
- Visitors enjoying birthday treats prepared by local chefs
- High School winner of the COUNTRY Financial reusable bag design contest receiving large $1,000 scholarship check
- A market bounty table, displaying all that visitors can find at the market
- Live music by 3 Leg Torso
11-11:40 am- Anniversary ceremony on stage in the center of the Market (near main music stage) with
- Remarks by elected officials, Portland Farmers Market representatives and founders
- Mayor Adams reading the City Proclamation announcing June as Farmers Market Month in Portland
- Unveiling of the new Portland Farmers Market logo
- COUNTRY Financial presenting $1,000 to the Portland Public School high school winner of their reusable bag design contest, $500 to each of two runners up
- Ceremonial birthday cake presentation, with all singing “Happy Birthday”
11:40 am – Free samples of dishes that celebrate market offerings, including a pork dish by chef Adam Sappington of The Country Cat, a vegetable salad by Market chef Kathryn Yeomans and a berry dessert by Ellen Jackson, co-author of The Grand Central Baking Book.
12-2 pm – Live music by 3 Leg Torso
All day – Dunk tank; birthday hat creation table for kids