This delightful spring pickle is one of the recipes featured on the set of eight market note cards which can be purchased at our markets. And be sure to stop by the Bingo Sandwiches booth to see what seasonal pickles David is making!
Pickled Asparagus and Fiddleheads
By David Barber, Picklopolis and Bingo Sandwiches
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 ½ cups cider vinegar
2 ½ cups water
½ cup pickling or kosher salt
1 tsp black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
½ tsp fennel seeds
1 pinch chili flakes
1 bulb garlic – peel and trim cloves
1 lb asparagus – trim off woody end and wash well
1 lb fiddlehead ferns – trim end and wash well
- In a 2 quart pot combine white vinegar, cider vinegar, water, and salt.
- Bring to a boil and add peppercorns, bay leaves, fennel seeds, clove, chili flakes, and garlic
- Return to a boil, then add asparagus and fiddleheads.
- Remove from heat immediately and cool to room temperature.
- Distribute contents evenly into clean quart jars and transfer to the refrigerator. DO NOT PUT THE LID ON UNTIL COLD.
- Will keep refrigerated for three months.