This recipe was prepared by Clyde Common chef Roberto Almodovar on Aug 5 as part of our Chef in the Market series. These cooking demonstrations conducted by Portland’s top chefs and PFM vendors celebrate height-of-the-season market ingredients as they educate and inspire home cooks. Market-goers can watch these pros turn the market’s seasonal produce into simple, delectable dishes (and taste them) at 10:00 am on the center stage at the Portland State University Market, Saturdays June through September.
Summer Succotash Salad
- 4 ears corn, shucked
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced Spanish onion
- 1 cup peppers ( green bell pepper, anaheim, sweet peppers)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh summer beans
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the corn until lightly charred on all sides, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly, then cut off the kernels and reserve.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion, peppers and sweat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the beans cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- In a salad bowl combine corn, onions, peppers, tomatoes and beans. Add lemon juice, basil and cilantro. add salt to taste
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4 medium garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Whisk egg yolk, garlic, and salt in a medium bowl to combine.
- Whisking constantly, add oil, drop by drop at first, then ⅛-teaspoonful at a time as mixture emulsifies and thickens. (Do not add oil too quickly or aioli will break and oil will separate.)
- Whisk until oil is incorporated and aioli is stiff enough to hold its shape when spooned. Add paprika.