Join us for Chef in the Market cooking demonstrations to celebrate height-of-the-season market ingredients. Market-goers can watch as Chefs prepare delectable dishes, while sharing skills and ingredient knowledge. Find our Chef in the Market stage at PSU Farmers Market near SW Park Avenue & Montgomery Street on Saturdays June 1 through October 5. Demonstrations start at 10 a.m. and include a sample of the day’s recipe.
The 2019 season of Chef in the Market is generously sponsored by Amica Insurance.
Chef Cathy Whims of Nostrana will be making Spaghetti with Sicilian Pesto.
Spaghetti with Sicilian Pesto
- 1 red bell pepper
- 5 anchovies, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 3 ounces pecorino cheese, finely grated
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, plus more, chopped, for serving
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes (5 medium), cored and quartered
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, for serving
- Roast pepper over a gas flame, turning, until blackened, about 8 minutes. (Or blacken under broiler.) Transfer to a bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove skin, stem, ribs, and seeds. Tear into 2-inch pieces. Puree in a blender with tomatoes, anchovies, capers, raisins, walnuts, cheese, and oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of generously salted boiling water until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot
- Add pepper mixture, then reserved pasta water, a little at a time, until sauce evenly coats pasta. Serve, topped with cheese, almonds, and parsley, and drizzled with oil.