Join us for Chef in the Market cooking demonstrations to celebrate height-of-the-season market ingredients. Market-goers can watch as Chefs prepare delectable dishes, while sharing skills and ingredient knowledge. Find our Chef in the Market stage at PSU Farmers Market near SW Park Avenue & Montgomery Street on Saturdays June 1 through October 5. Demonstrations start at 10 a.m. and include a sample of the day’s recipe.
Deepak Saxena of DesiPDX will be making Tandoori Tempeh Curry.
The 2019 season of Chef in the Market is generously sponsored by Amica Insurance.
Tandoori Tempeh Curry
- ¼ cup neutral oil (avocado, sunflower, safflower)
- 1 lb tempeh – crumbled
- 1 onion – thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic – thinly sliced
- Mix of seasonal veggies
- 2 cups coarsely chopped greens such as kale and collards
- 1 cup roots thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons tandoori spice blend (store bought or homemade)
- 2 teaspoons salt (we use Diamond kosher)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 13.5oz can coconut milk
- ¼ cup crushed tomatoes
- Heat oil on medium high heat until shimmering
- Add tempeh to pan and stir fry until browned
- Remove tempeh from pan with a slotted spoon onto a paper-towel lined plate
- Add garlic and onion to pan and stir fry until lightly browned
- Add root vegetables to pan and saute until they are almost cooked through, 5-8 minutes
- Add tandoori powder to pan and mix thoroughly
- Add tomato paste and stir until it is incorporated with all veggies
- Add coconut milk and salt, mixing thoroughly
- Bring mix a boil
- Add greens, cover with a lid, and simmer for 10 minutes until they are fully wilted
- Add lime juice and mix all together
- Add any more salt to taste if desired
- Serve as is, over rice or noodles.