Join us for Chef in the Market cooking demonstrations to celebrate height-of-the-season market ingredients. Market-goers can watch as Chefs prepare delectable dishes, while sharing skills and ingredient knowledge. Find our Chef in the Market stage at PSU Farmers Market near SW Park Avenue & Montgomery Street on Saturdays June 1 through October 5. Demonstrations start at 10 a.m. and include a sample of the day’s recipe.
Chef Kathryn LaSusa of The Farmer’s Feast, and the Food & Beverage Director at The Springs Living at Carman Oaks, will be making Quinoa-Mushroom Burger Patties.
The 2019 season of Chef in the Market is generously sponsored by Amica Insurance.
Quinoa-Mushroom Burger Patty
Yield – 9 patties
For the quinoa:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Rinse the quinoa. Soak the quinoa if desired. Combine the strained quinoa, water and salt in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook gently for 15 minutes.
For the patties:
- 8 oz. shredded zucchini (use large-hole shredder attachment on food processor, or a box grater- about 1 large zucchini)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2.5 oz. minced shallot (about 1 large shallot)
- 10 oz. stem-less shiitake or other wild or cultivated mushroom, chopped in the food processor (about 1-2 mushrooms – weigh after de-stemming)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Few grinds of black pepper
- 5 oz. sweet potato puree (roast sweet potato in skin, peel, then puree in the food processor, measure 5 oz. puree)
- 5 oz. panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) or gluten-free panko (or chex cereal ground to panko-sized pieces)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Squeeze the zucchini in a clean kitchen towel to remove excess liquid.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until the shallot is soft and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to high. Add the portobello mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms release their liquid. Cook off the liquid, then add the zucchini and salt. Cook for a few more minutes, until the water has cooked off. Season with pepper and remove from the heat. Mix in the cooked quinoa.
- Add sweet potato puree, panko, and lemon juice. Combine.
- Portion using a 4-ounce scoop and press into 4-inch pastry cutter ring to make patties. Patties cook best from frozen.