Join us for Chef in the Market cooking demonstrations to celebrate height-of-the-season market ingredients. Market-goers can watch as Chefs prepare delectable dishes, while sharing skills and ingredient knowledge. Find our Chef in the Market stage at PSU Farmers Market near SW Park Avenue & Montgomery Street on Saturdays June 1 through October 5. Demonstrations start at 10 a.m. and include a sample of the day’s recipe.
Todd Koebke of the Sabin-Schellenberg Center will be making Farmers Market Hash with Market Fresh Eggs.
The 2019 season of Chef in the Market is generously sponsored by Amica Insurance.
Farmers Market Hash with Market Fresh Eggs
A note from Chef Koebke: “This is one of my favorite ways to shop at the farmers market. Gather beautiful seasonal ingredients as you take in all the sights and smells of the morning. Use your favorite cast-iron skillet and bring all these amazingly fresh ingredients together simply with care to let each ingredient shine. Top with a farm fresh egg and start your day right.”
Yield: 4 servings
- 8 oz. bacon or sausage, diced
- 1 ea sweet onion, diced
- 1 ea red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 ea poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 ½ cup fall squash; butternut, delicata or any preferred squash
- 1 cup diced apple, firm variety; pink lady, fuji or granny smith
- ¼ cup water
- 4 oz. butter, cubed
- ¼ cup chopped herbs, rosemary or Italian parsley are preferred
- goat cheese, crumbled
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 ea farm fresh eggs
- Heat cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add diced bacon or sausage and cook until fat is rendered out.
- Add onions and sauté until slightly caramelized.
- Add squash and peppers and cook until the squash has slightly softened.
- When squash is almost done, about 10 minutes, add apples and sauté to bring bit of color to the apples.
- Add the cubed butter and allow to coat or dress the ingredients in the pan.
- Add the herbs and season with salt and pepper. Be sure to taste to make sure the flavors are developed and re-season if necessary.
- Plate finished hash, top with an over easy farmer egg, crumbled goat cheese, fresh herbs and enjoy.