Rooting for Local Food: PSU Market Opens March 15!
By Deborah Pleva, Weinstein PR
On Saturday, March 15, Portland Farmers Market at Portland State University returns for Season 23, promising locavores week after week of peak-of-the-season produce and other locally produced foods including baked goods, meats, cheeses, seafood and more.
More than 100 farmers, food producers and artisans will start the season off, and this number will grow to 120 vendors as the days get warmer and more local produce ripens.
In addition to many familiar farmers and producers, Portland Farmers Market welcomes 10 fresh new faces to the vendor mix. The list below includes new vendors that will be making appearances at the PSU market, plus other weekly market locations where they will be selling their wares.
- Fairlight Farm – Gaston, OR – PSU – Specializing in 33 varieties of heirloom apples, many not found in the grocery store. applesandart.blogspot.com
- Greenleaf Juicing Company – Portland, OR – PSU, Kenton, King, Buckman, Shemanski – 100% pressed fresh daily USDA organic fruit and vegetable juices. www.greenleafjuice.com
- House Spirits Distillery – Portland, OR – PSU, King – This distillery incorporates old-world philosophy into its products for the savvy new world palate. They offer well-balanced and flavorful spirits that embody complexity and timelessness. www.housespirits.com
- Merry Meat Pie Company – Portland, OR – PSU, King – Merry Meat Pie Company offers premium and diverse meat pies.
- Minto Island Growers – Salem, OR – PSU – Certified organic, diversified vegetable, blueberry and tea farmers. www.mintogrowers.com
- Mio’s Delectables – Portland, OR – PSU, Pioneer Courthouse Square – Mio’s Delectables offers hand-crafted pastries perfected with French tradition and Japanese refined simplicity. miosdelectables.com
- New Deal Distillery – Portland, OR – PSU, Pioneer Courthouse Square, Northwest, King, Buckman, Shemanski – This craft distillery offers hand-made vodka, gin, ginger liqueur, locally-inspired coffee liqueur, small-batch rums and infused vodkas with a distinctive culinary flare. www.newdealdistillery.com
- Ole World Oils – Ritzville, WA – PSU, King, Northwest – They produce, press, and bottle camelina oil, a cold pressed, naturally raw product very high in omega 3s and vitamin E. Camelina is an ancient oilseed crop and is a versatile oil that can be used anywhere olive oil is used. www.camelinagold.com
- Oregon Aqua – Portland, OR – PSU, Buckman – A local and completely environmentally sustainable aquaculture farm, raising Oregon White Leg Prawns without the use of GMO feed, hormones, antibiotics or chemical treatments.
- Starvation Alley – Long Beach, WA – PSU, King – This organic cranberry farm and juice company, located on the Long Beach Peninsula in Southwest Washington, crafts delicious unsweetened, raw cranberry juice. In the fall, it will add fresh cranberries to its Market offerings. www.starvationalley.com
See you all on Saturday!
Pingback : Portland Farmers Market Opening Day 2014 | LunaCafe
Pingback : My 2014 Farmers Market Hit List | Portland Farmers Market Blog