Every summer, mid-June through August at our PSU Market, kids age 7-11 can participate in Kids Cook at the Market, where they learn about the seasonality of food, meet local farmers, and prepare ingredients purchased fresh at the market. Classes include a guided market tour, hands-on instruction and recipes to take home so students can share what they learn with family and friends.
The Kids Cook Season 2016 is generously sponsored by Whole Foods Market.
Makes 4 rolls
- 1 1/2 cups Japanese Style Sushi Rice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 4 nori sheets
- 2 tablespoons whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- Low sodium soy sauce, to serve
- Rinse and drain rice 3 times or until water runs clear. Place in a sieve over a bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to drain.
- Place rice and 1 1/2 cups cold water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 12 minutes or until water has absorbed. Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place vinegar and sugar in a microwave-safe jug. Microwave on high (100%) for 30 seconds. Stir to dissolve sugar. Transfer rice to a large ceramic dish. Using a spatula, stir to break up lumps. Slowly add vinegar mixture, lifting and turning rice, until rice has cooled.
- Place 1 nori sheet, shiny-side down, on a sushi mat. Using damp fingers, spread 3/4 cup rice over nori, leaving a 2cm strip at 1 short end. Arrange one-quarter cucumber, avocado and carrot on nori Using the sushi mat, roll up firmly to form a roll. Cut into 6 slices. Repeat with remaining nori sheets, rice, cucumber, avocado and carrot to make 24 pieces. Serve with soy sauce.