Neighborhood Markets Opening Soon!
June marks the opening of the remaining neighborhood markets:
Kenton Farmers Market opens Wednesday, June 1, for the first time on it’s new day! The market runs from 3 pm to 7 pm, June 1 through Sept. 28 at the corner of N McClellan and Denver in the Kenton Neighborhood. Shoppers can find berries, flowers, produce, freshly-baked cookies and bread, veggie starts, salsa, goat cheese and more! Visit the Kenton market page for a list of vendors.
Northwest Farmers Market opens Thursday, June 2. Located at the corner of NW 19th & Everett from 2-6 pm, this market features just a handful of vendors but can meet all of your mid-week produce needs. You can find flowers, berries, veggies, hot sauce, freshly-baked bread, veggie starts and new this year, ice cream from Scoop! Visit the Northwest market page for a full list of vendors.
Lents International Farmers Market opens Sunday, June 5. Previously managed by Zenger Farm, we are pleased to welcome this market to our family! It’s operating at a new time and location this year, from 9 am to 2 pm at the corner of 91st and Foster Road in the Lents neighborhood. With more than 16 vendors, this market is full of international flavors you can’t find at any other market in the city. We will continue to offer the same programs shoppers can expect, such as Food Scouts, Community Produce Table, and the Lents Grocery Buying Club.
- Early season cherries are here! Baird Family Orchard, Maryhill Orchard and Gala Springs will each have limited quantities at PSU.
- Strawberries continue to show up in large numbers at PSU and at our downtown and neighborhood markets. Unger Farms will have them at Shemanski on Wednesday, Valley Berry Farm at Kenton and K Berry Farm at NW.
- Janna’s Flowers/Blueberries will continue to have peonies at PSU. Get them while they last! They’ll be gone after June.
- Salmon Creek Farm at PSU has beautiful slicing tomatoes that are the perfect addition to burgers you may have on the menu this holiday weekend.
- It’s not too late to plant your garden! Spring Hill Organic Farm, Sun Gold Farm, Blue Heron Herbary at PSU and Lil’ Starts at Kenton will have a wide variety of veggie starts to choose from. Not sure what you want to grow? Ask the farmer for advice!
Don’t forget, you can do more than shop for groceries at our markets! Take advantage of the following activities at our markets:
- May 28, PSU: Join us for music in the center stage, with performances by Rules of Motion at 10:30 am and Sing Portland! at 1:00 pm
- May 29, King: Tap your feet to the market music of Ky Burt at 10 am and Jake William Kapistran at 12:15 pm. Meanwhile, drop kiddos of all ages off at the King Market’s Kid’s Play Zone for a dough making activity.
- June 1, Kenton: Join us for opening day and enjoy market music by The Little Big Band, on stage at 4:30 pm.
- June 2, Northwest: Join us for opening day and enjoy music by MLC Marimba, on stage at 3:30 pm.
- June 4, PSU: Pick up your 2016 COUNTRY FINANCIAL reusable tote bag! Winners of this year’s contest will be honored in an event starting at 9:30 on the center stage. Once the presentation is over, stick around for the season’s first Chef in the Market demo. Leena Ezekiel of Thali Supper Club, will be preparing and offering samples of her Keema Matar (ground lamb with spring peas), a recipe featured in the Portland Farmers Market Cookbook! Takes place at 10 am on the center stage.
- June 5, Lents International: Sign your kids up for Food Scouts, a unique program for children between the ages of 5 and 12. Food Scout participants receive $2 in tokens each week to spend on vegetables, fruit and food-producing plants. The Food Scouts booth also offers hands-on activities each week focused on farms, food and fun. Food Scouts is a partnership between Zenger Farm and Whole Foods Market. To sign up, visit the Food Scout booth at market.
- June 18, PSU: Sign your kids age 7-11 up for Kids Cook at the Market! Classes begin June 18 with cheeseburger sliders for Father’s Day and continue through August 27. Classes are $10 per child. Pre-registration is required.
- All markets: Purchase your copy of the Portland Farmers Market Cookbook!