A message from our sponsor, COUNTRY Financial
20 Reasons COUNTRY Loves Portland Farmers Market
Asparagus, bread, cheese, dill and so much more! Let us count the reasons we love Portland Farmers Market!
One, short year ago, COUNTRY Financial forged a budding relationship with PFM. Our season sponsorship blossomed into a renewal of support through 2013.
What a great time to partner with PFM as the market celebrates its 20th birthday! We’ll be tossing in a few birthday surprises of our own for market shoppers. To honor PFM and its milestone, we salute you with 20 reasons we love the market.
1. Living green. Earlier this month we revealed our first Reusable Bag Contest winner – Alder Gustafson, a senior at Wilson High School. Shoppers tote bags sporting his award-winning design.
2. An excuse to aimlessly wander.
3. Fresh food. PFM vendors provide the freshest, local food – hands down.
4. Discovering new foods and recipes. We’re bringing three local chefs to the Pioneer Courthouse Square market on August 22 for our inaugural COUNTRY Chef Challenge. This culinary cook-off will undoubtedly yield new ways to tantalize your taste buds!
5. Waking up to a hot Americano at Café Velo.
6. Kids Cook. We’re introducing new, free Bite Size Kids Cook events at the Buckman, King and Northwest markets through September. Your pint-sized chefs can cultivate their culinary skills with Groovy Greens and Booyah Berries – just to name a few!
7. Hearing the opening bell.
8. Supporting local food producers. We know farming! We were founded by farmers in 1925 and are the No. 1 farm insurer in Oregon. Thanks for growing our food!
9. The changing seasons – from amazing apples to bombastic basil to crunchy cucumbers! PFM vendors offer an ever-changing plate of offerings from March through December.
10. Buying food from people you know. PFM shoppers develop close connections with vendors. Our financial representatives operate under the same philosophy by developing solid relationships with our clients.
11. Free samples. Never tasted parsnips? Think white carrots. Ask for a taste.
12. EverGreen Campaign. Composting and recycling efforts will divert 90 percent of PFM waste from landfills by 2012.
13. Fresh Exchange. This program puts fresh food on the tables of our low-income neighbors. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program recipients receive a dollar-for-dollar match – up to $5 – to spend on market food.
14. Creating community. We have a history of giving back to the communities we serve. Serving as a PFM sponsor allows us to draw attention to the freshest food produced on the planet and provide activities that enhance each visitor’s market experience.
15. Seeing familiar faces and making new friends. Look for our financial representatives at market booths. Walk up and say hello!
16. Making PFM a tradition. Our financial representative, Phil McDodson, makes weekly farmers market visits a must. Get a taste of his experience.
17. Preserving the Market. This 5-class series offered by PFM will help you preserve the freshness of the season all year long. Tomatoes and fall fruits star in August and September.
18. Breathing fresh air!
19. Fueling the local economy. Just as eating fruits and vegetables improves your nutrition, buying from local growers ensures a community’s financial strength.
20. Celebrating special occasions. Happy 20th Birthday, PFM!
Have we missed your favorite reason to visit PFM? Feel free to share your list!