Portland Farmers Market Seeks Market Bike Coordinator
Portland Farmers Market (PFM) is in search of a part-time seasonal Market Bike Coordinator (MBC) to join our team for the summer. Returning for its second season on the streets of Portland is the “Produce Pedaler” market bike, our Dutch cargo bike outfitted to display and sell the bounty of the season. The MBC will sell fresh market goods from the bike on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays downtown June through August. The MBC will also bring the bike to occasional community events and festivals throughout the summer. The ideal candidate is fit, bike-savvy, has an open/flexible schedule throughout the summer, is a self-starter, has a strong sales background and customer focus, and an interest in fresh, local foods.
See below for more details and visit our website here to learn how you can apply for the position.
The primary role of the Market Bike Coordinator is to ride and deliver market goods to locations around Portland on Portland Farmers Maket’s “Produce Pedaler” Dutch cargo market bike. Additionally, the Market Bike Coordinator is responsible for the requisition of product, physical appearance, display and sales off of the bike. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays June-August required.
- Delivery, set-up and tear-down of market bike & equipment.
- Requisition, sales and reconciliation of market goods from vendors.
- Customer service to both vendors and market bike shoppers.
- Maintenance and organization of market bike & equipment.
- Ensuring market bike is set up and ready for sales and events in a timely manner.
- Ensuring the market bike is clean and product displayed is attractive and tidy throughout the day.
- Safely operating the bike with attention to potential safety hazards for customers or pedestrians.
- Comfortable riding a 10 foot, several hundred pound Dutch cargo bike in downtown Portland.
- Able to lift 50 lbs. or more. This is a very physical job.
- Experience working in a team environment but comfortable on your own.
- Experience with direct customer service, sales, communications or related skills.
- Flexible summer schedule; Mondays and Wednesdays June through August required.
- Passion for local food and farms; knowledge of community food systems a plus.
- Enthusiastic, pacesetter, sense of humor, adaptability, and ability to go with the flow.