19 June 2016
Kids Cook in the Market: Cheeseburger Sliders
Every summer, mid-June through August at our PSU Market, kids age 67-11 can participate in Kids Cook at the Market, where they learn about the seasonality of food, meet local farmers, and prepare ingredients purchased fresh at the market. Classes include a guided market tour, hands-on instruction and recipes to take home so students can share what they learn with family and friends.
The Kids Cook Season 2016 is generously sponsored by Whole Foods Market.
Recipe by Arielle Clark
Makes: 16 sliders
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 16 (2-inch) buns or rolls, quartered
- 1 pound cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- Additional condiments: mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, onion, lettuce, tomato
- Place ground beef in a large mixing bowl.
- Add onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and kosher salt. Mix together with your hands for 1 minute. Make sure to wear some disposal gloves!
- Divide ground beef mixture in to 16 – 2-ounce balls. Place balls on a flat rimmed baking sheet.
- Flatten balls into ¼ inch thick patties. Remove gloves and wash your hands.
- Place a large skillet on a burner and turn heat up to medium. Add ¼ of oil and wait for 30 seconds for the oil to get hot.
- Carefully place burger patties in skillet, making sure not to over crowd the pan.
- Cook, undisturbed, for 4 minutes.
- Flip patties and cook on other side for 2 minutes.
- Add cheese, if desired, to the top of patty.
- Turn heat down to low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and check for doneness. The burger should be cooked to an internal temperature of 155 degrees. If done place patty on your bun, if not cook for an addition minute and check the temperature again.
- Add any additional condiments you want! Experiment with fresh seasonal ingredients you can find at the farmers market.