21 July 2016
Kids Cook in the Market: No-Bake Peach Crisp
Every summer, mid-June through August at our PSU Market, kids age 7-11 can participate in Kids Cook at the Market, where they learn about the seasonality of food, meet local farmers, and prepare ingredients purchased fresh at the market. Classes include a guided market tour, hands-on instruction and recipes to take home so students can share what they learn with family and friends.
The Kids Cook Season 2016 is generously sponsored by Whole Foods Market.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 pound peaches (3-4), peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- For the topping, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oats, brown sugar and nuts. Stir until the oats are crispy and browned. Set aside.
- For the filling, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the peaches and stir two minutes.
- Add the spices and sugar and stir until peaches begin to soften and caramelize.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and cornstarch. Stir until mixed.
- Add to hot peach mixture. Stir an additional 2-3 minutes, until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add the filling to individual bowls or one large pie plate. Top with crispy topping and serve immediately.
Recipe by Julie Merry, TheMerryKitchen.com