June 19, 2010 Chef in the Market Demonstration by:
Leena Ezekiel, In Good Taste
Palak Daal (lentils with spinach) and Mixed Vegetable Curry
Ingredients for Palak Daal:
2 C red lentils
4 C of water
1 t cumin powder
½ t turmeric powder
½ t cayenne pepper
2 medium onions, chopped
1 inch piece of ginger
2 T ghee
6-8 cloves of garlic, minced
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (optional)
1 bunch chopped fresh spinach
1 C cilantro, chopped
Directions for Palak Daal:
• Soak the lentils in the water for 30 minutes.
• Add the turmeric powder, salt, cumin powder, cayenne pepper and the remaining garlic, ginger and onions.
• Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer over medium heat until the daal is soft and creamy.
• Remove from heat.
• In a small saucepan, heat the ghee and fry the remaining onions, ginger and garlic until golden brown.
• Add the tomatoes and fresh spinach and stir well till spinach is wilted.
• Add this spice mixture into the cooked daal and simmer for 10 minutes.
• Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with rice or chappatis.
Ingredients for Mixed Vegetable Curry:
4 medium potatoes boiled and cubed
2 C fresh peas
1 C carrots, diced
1 cauliflower(optional), cut into small floret’s
2 T ginger/garlic paste
1 C fresh tomatoes, diced
1 t cumin seeds
1 t coriander powder
2 t turmeric powder
2 t freshly ground cumin powder
2 t red chili powder (cayenne pepper) (optional)
4 T vegetable or canola oil
2 t garam masala powder
Salt to taste
Fresh cilantro (chopped), for garnish
Directions for Mixed Vegetable Curry:
• Add the oil to a pan over medium high heat.
• When hot, add the cumin seeds. When they start to pop add the ginger/garlic paste and fry for a few, about 1 minute.
• Add the the dry spices in a small bowl of water to make a paste.
• Add this to the pot and stir well.
• Add the tomatoes and cook until the oil separates, about 2 minutes.
• Add the vegetables and salt and stir well.
• Fry for a few minutes.
• Add a cup of water if you prefer more sauce. Plain yogurt can also be added.
• Simmer until vegetables are fork tender, about 5 minutes.
• Serve hot over steamed rice or flat bread.