26 June 2010
6/26 Chef in the Market Demo: Todd Koebke, Sabin Schellenberg Center
June 26, 2010 Chef in the Market Demonstration by:
Todd Koebke, Culinary Arts Instructor at Sabin Schellenberg Center
Granola Crusted French Toast with Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
1 pound strawberries
1/2 pound rhubarb
1/2 orange, juiced
1/4 C sugar
1 t cornstarch
1 loaf Market Bread, your choice
1 1/2 C whole milk
1 t vanilla
1 T sugar
1 dash cinnamon
1/4 C butter
1 C granola
- Remove stems and hulls strawberries cutting each in half lengthwise. Add to a medium pot.
- Trim rhubarb and cut in 1/2-inch slices crosswise. Add to pot with strawberries.
- Add the orange juice to berries along with 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir mixture to combine.
- Cover pot with a lid and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Simmer for 10 minutes just until rhubarb is tender, stirring once or twice.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Meanwhile make French toast:
- Slice loaf into 1 inch thick slices with a serrated knife.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, 1 T sugar, and cinnamon.
- Pour egg mixture into a shallow baking dish, such as a 9×9 pan.
- If granola is very chunky, place in a large Ziploc bag, seal, then bang with a rolling pin or heavy pan a few times to break up and large chunks.
- Place half of granola on a plate, reserve the other half.
- Heat 2 T butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Working with 2 slices of bread at a time, dredge slice in egg mixture on both sides, press one side of egg coated bread slice into the granola on the plate, enough to lightly coat, then place slice in the hot skillet.
- Sprinkle another T of crushed granola on the tops of french toast slice while it is in the pan.
- Use the back of a spatula to press the granola into the bread.
- Allow about 2 minutes per side, flipping over when lightly browned.
- Repeat process with remaining slices of bread.
- To serve, allow 2 slices of French toast per person with a healthy serving of strawberry compote.
- Garnish with fresh mint..