Arbor Day Festival!
From our friends at the Urban Forestry Commission and Portland Parks & Recreation
Portland’s Arbor Day Festival on Saturday, April 20, 2013, at Portland Farmers Market at Portland State University is the main celebration of Arbor Month 2013!
Join Portland Parks & Recreation, Urban Forestry, Friends of Trees, the Portland Tree Steward Coalition, Bureau of Environmental Services Grey to Green Project, and the impressive Heritage Trees of the Rose City as we honor those who work tirelessly to enhance our urban forest with a hands-on Tree-magination Station for kids of all ages including leaf tracing projects, interactive educational displays, guided Heritage Tree walks, Tree planting and pruning information, and much more.
Bring your urban canopy related questions to a Portland Tree Steward during the Arbor Day Festival and speak to partner volunteers from Forest Park Conservancy, Portland Fruit Tree Project, PSU Student Group, Oregon State Heritage Tree commission, and professionals from the American Society of Landscape Architects.
Attend the TREE CITY USA award (36th consecutive year for PDX) and Bill Naito Award Ceremony beginning at 10:00 AM sharp followed by a guided walk of the majestic Copper Beach (Fagus sylvatica) at the PSU library adjacent to the market. Here’s what you can expect during the awards ceremony:
- At 10AM City Commissioner Steve Novick will proclaim Arbor Month on behalf of Mayor Charlie Hales and City Council at Portland’s Arbor Day Festival.
- Notable City and community leaders such as Portland Parks & Recreation Director Mike Abbaté will take part. Abbaté will accept Portland’s 36th consecutive Tree City USA certification.
- Portland City Forester Jennifer Cairo will be on hand, along with winners of the annual Bill Naito Community Trees Awards.
- Bill Naito’s son, Bob, will present the awards. The Friends of Trees mascot, “Garry Oak” will be conferred as an honorary Heritage Tree for service toward increasing Portland’s urban tree canopy.
- Prizes will be awarded for those posting Heritage Tree photos from the Arbor Month Heritage Tree-sure Map (take part NOW and see below for details!)
1. Visit any of Portland’s 300 Heritage Trees
2. Take your photo with any heritage tree
3. Tag it with #pdxtrees, share it with friends, and post it to: facebook.com/treestewards
4. Receive your TREEsure at the Arbor Day Festival on April 20 at the Portland Farmers Market at PSU!
Pingback : Guilty of Arboring and Abetting Earth Day | Portland Farmers Market Blog