Every summer, mid-June through August at our PSU Market, kids age 7-11 can participate in Kids Cook at the Market, where they learn about the seasonality of food, meet local farmers, and prepare ingredients purchased fresh at the market. Classes include a guided market tour, hands-on instruction and recipes to take home so students can share what they learn with family and friends.
The Kids Cook Season 2016 is generously sponsored by Whole Foods Market.
Recipe by Julie Merry, TheMerryKitchen
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground sausage (chicken, pork, turkey or veggie)
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup other vegetable such as mushrooms or spinach, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup chives or scallions
- 4 medium soft tortillas
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and let heat for 30 seconds. Add sausage and onions and stir until sausage is almost done and barely pink. Add bell pepper, other vegetables (if using) and sauté an additional 2 minutes. Add garlic cloves and sauté for one minute.
- Crack eggs into a bowl. Whisk until well blended. Pour into the sausage vegetable mixture and cook until eggs reach desired doneness. Sprinkle cheese and chives on top. Stir to combine.
- Lay out the four tortillas. Spread ¼ mixture into the middle of each tortilla. Starting from one side, roll over the ingredients. Fold the bottom onto the ingredients, and then finish rolling to the other side. Wrap the bottom half in foil so you don’t have any drips.
* Add salsa or guacamole to your burrito before rolling up, or have dipping containers on the side.