Every summer, mid-June through August at our PSU Market, kids age 7-11 can participate in Kids Cook at the Market, where they learn about the seasonality of food, meet local farmers, and prepare ingredients purchased fresh at the market. Classes include a guided market tour, hands-on instruction and recipes to take home so students can share what they learn with family and friends.
The Kids Cook Season 2016 is generously sponsored by Whole Foods Market.
- 1 (12 to 16-inch) baguette
- 2 garlic cloves, halved plus 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups diced summer or Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the baguette in half lengthwise, place on a sheet tray and bake in the oven until lightly brown. Rub with the garlic cloves. Drizzle with 2 ounces of the olive oil and sprinkle with the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Return to oven to melt cheese.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the tomatoes, minced garlic, basil, vinegar, remaining olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and let sit for 5 minutes at room temperature.
- Remove baguette from oven and top with the tomato mixture. Garnish with basil and Parmigiano-Reggiano.