06 August 2016
Kids Cook in the Market: Veggie Hash
Every summer, mid-June through August at our PSU Market, kids age 7-11 can participate in Kids Cook at the Market, where they learn about the seasonality of food, meet local farmers, and prepare ingredients purchased fresh at the market. Classes include a guided market tour, hands-on instruction and recipes to take home so students can share what they learn with family and friends.
The Kids Cook Season 2016 is generously sponsored by Whole Foods Market.
Recipe by Julie Merry
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3-4 yukon gold or small red potatoes, or similar, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 golden beets, diced
- 2 zucchini or other summer squash
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once butter melts, add potatoes and onions.
- Add 1 teaspoon sea salt and Italian seasoning and sauté about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and beets and sauté another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add zucchini and season entire dish with salt and pepper.
- Sauté until squash just starts to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat but leave on the burner.
- Add kale and stir until slightly wilted.
- Season with additional salt, pepper and Italian seasoning if desired.