12 October 2015
Spiced Sautéed Greens
This recipe comes from Leena Ezekiel of Thali Supper Club as part of our Chef in the Market series at our PSU Market.
- 2 bunches greens, washed, stemmed and chopped (kale, spinach, mustard greens all work well)
- 1 # fingerling potatoes or any other small potatoes, skin on and halved
- 2 T canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp nutmeg, grated or ground
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ C walnuts or apricot, sliced
Heat the oil in a shallow pan or wok. Add the cumin seeds and garlic. When it starts spluttering, add the potatoes. Fry the potatoes till slightly tender but not cooked through. Add the greens, dry spices and salt. Stir well and cook till greens have wilted and potatoes are fork tender. Mix in the walnuts/apricots and serve hot as a side dish.