Did you know you can buy vegetable starts from the farmers market?
It’s often an overlooked item among the produce, but a farmers market can be the best place to find veggie starts. Not only can you verify the quality of the plant and find unique varieties, but you can also get a little advice straight from the person who grew it. I know this first-hand: I’ve had a garden for about three years now and every year I buy my starts from the market. Just like they are happy to answer questions about their produce, vendors are also happy to offer advice about where to plant, what to plant, how to troubleshoot and any other gardening-related questions.
And don’t forget, if you are a SNAP participant, you can also use your Oregon Trail card to purchase vegetable starts!
What’s fresh at market this week:
- This week you can find the season’s first fiddlehead ferns from Rick’s Wild Mushrooms. They’ll go fast so be sure to arrive early!
- Fresh, organic pasta from Pasta del Sol. Pick up a variety of tasty pastas, including pappardelle, tagliatelle, fettuccine, linguine and lasagna sheets.
- Say hello to new vendor Thomas and Sons Distillery and try one of their 100% certified organic spirits. All of the flavors used in the spirits are whole dry botanicals rather than extracts, making for a unique addition to your cocktails. Be sure to stop by for a sample!
- Alma Chocolate is returning to PSU for the first time this season with plenty of hand-crafted chocolate to satisfy your sweet tooth. Don’t forget, this Sunday is Easter, so you can stock up on a variety for your Easter basket!
- Brighten your home with fresh flowers from Lucky Farms, Favorite Produce of Oregon, Early Mom, Rick Steffen Farm and Raymond Kuenzi Farm. You can also pick up a spring wreath and decorative branches from Kenyon Growers.
- Restock your liquor cabinet with Stonebarn Brandyworks‘ brandies, whiskeys and liqueurs made from regional fruit
Out this week:
- Unbound Pickles (returning 4/2)
- Oregon Walnuts (returning 4/2)
- Minto Island growers (returning 4/2)
- Raynblest Farm (returning 4/16)
- Tastebud (returning 5/7)
- Bingo Sandwiches (not returning)
- Adelman Peonies (not returning)
- Heidi Ho (not returning)
- Black Sheep Bakery (not returning)