Stay Rad, Stay Local – Winter 2023 Edition!
Over the summer, Portland area farmers markets did the Stay Rad, Stay Local passport program. Shoppers were given a paper passport, then asked to visit five farmers markets in the area, obtain a sticker or stamp in their passport from each market then turn in their passport at the fifth market for a prize!
Shoppers who participated in the program said they loved exploring different farmers markets in the area, discovering new farmers & food producers, enjoying all the incredible summer bounty, and supporting local small businesses.
So we decided to do Stay Rad, Stay Local – Winter 2023 Edition!
For this edition, we are focusing on providing resources to shoppers to make it easy to track winter markets open days & times, eat seasonally, try winter produce, and support local farmers, food producers & the food system!
Want all this information in one handy pdf? Download the Stay Rad, Stay Local – Winter 2023 Edition flyer!
Print it, put it on your fridge, see all the food that is available now, and make plans to explore other farmers markets in the area!
Check out all the delicious produce that can be found at winter farmers markets:
- brussels sprouts
- winter squash
Need some winter produce inspiration? Here are some resources about winter produce – selecting, cooking, recipes, storage and more:
- Eat Winter Vegetables Project by OSU Vegetable Cropping Systems Program, OSU Small Farms Program, and the Culinary Breeding Network.
- Food Print, Why We Celebrate Winter Vegetables by Lane Selman
- Slow Food Portland, Winter Seasonal Eating in Portland, Oregon
- Food Revolution Network, Healthy Winter Vegetables & the Best Ways to Enjoy Them by Ocean Robbins
- Food Print, Winter Farmers Market Shopping Tips by Katherine Sacks
Stay tuned for more posts, recipes, tips and resources coming soon.
See you at the winter farmers markets!