Asparagus has a relatively short season at our market, and for good reason: it’s healthier and tastier the fresher it is. But if you just can’t imagine limiting yourself, try this recipe by David Barber of Picklopolis and Bingo Sandwiches.
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ cups cider vinegar
- 2 ½ cups water
- ½ cup pickling or kosher salt
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 clove
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1 bulb garlic – peel and trim cloves
- 1 lb asparagus – trim off woody end and wash well 1 lb fiddlehead ferns – trim end and wash well
- In a 2 quart pot combine white vinegar, cider vinegar, water, and salt. Bring to a boil and add peppercorns, bay leaves, fennel seeds, clove, chili flakes, and garlic.
- Return to a boil, then add asparagus and fiddleheads.
- Remove from heat immediately and cool to room temperature.
- Distribute contents evenly into clean quart jars and transfer to the refrigerator. DO NOT PUT THE LID ON UNTIL COLD.
- Will keep refrigerated for three months.